THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
YOUR GUIDE TO SUCCESS
If you’re wondering whether blogging is something you should try, let me assure you that making a living through blogging is both possible and preferable. Yes, it takes some work (setting up the website, creating content, promoting the blog, etc.). But that work is worth it for the freedom and independent wealth you can generate.
Do you want to spend more time with your kids? Do you want to travel? Do you want to put your nose to the grindstone and pursue an acting career through the traditional route? Do you want to work outside the box and create your own content? A mix of both? Do you want casting directors to notice you? Then, a blog is not just something that will give you extra cash. It is an essential part of building your career.
Building a blog is critical to your long-term success. A blog is an asset you own that provides major online visibility, an important part of building that acting career. Start writing content. You can put together a simple blog now, creating some really solid content, and worry about the design later.Building a blog is critical to your long-term success Click To Tweet
The part of blogging which most frequently scares new bloggers away is the technical stuff. You’re a creative person (at least I assume you are since you’re reading an article on a website about acting). So, you probably don’t need a ton of coaching when it comes to creating the content. But, if you’re like me, the idea of building up a blog is highly intimidating. So, I’m going to guide you through the better resources available to you so you can get a clear idea of the cost and the “HOW TO” OF STARTING A BLOG.
The most common type of blog on the internet is WordPress, and with good reason. It’s really easy to use and highly compatible with a number of free and affordable apps that make your blog awesome. The best way to run your blog is through a hosting site. They can get your domain and blog set up, protect you from hackers, and generally just provide a platform that is both easy to use and maintain. There are several phenomenal hosting sites available. One of the best is Bluehost . It’s affordable and very user friendly.
I have a good working relationship with Bluehost and I’ve been able to negotiate a really stellar deal exclusively for my followers which enables you to start a blog for as little as $3.95 per month. Make sure to use my link to cash in on that deal and when you purchase at least a 12 month plan, your domain is free! There’s even a 30-day grace period where your can cancel for a full refund if you decide blogging isn’t for you.
Admittedly, there are a number of blogging sites available with a slightly lower set up cost. But sites like Blogger or Blogspot are not good options if you’re looking to make some money. Plus you’re still required to pay for your domain no matter what platform you use. Bluehost offers an affordable monthly rate and a free domain. You have the freedom to run your own advertisements, direct advertising, and affiliate links. Blogger and other free blogging platforms are often inflexible when it comes to advertising and affiliations.
Most bloggers who use free blogging platforms find that they are unable to generate an income. Free blogging platforms are not compatible with WordPress, which is a major problem. WordPress blogs are considered more professional than blogger websites and therefore considered preferable for most advertisers and other companies for setting up advertising and affiliate contracts. That right there is one of the best reasons to use Bluehost.
You’d be surprised how easy it is to set up a WordPress blog, especially through Bluehost. Here are just a few of the reasons you should consider starting a blog with Bluehost:
- Bluehost is exceptionally easy to use. Anyone is capable of starting a WordPress blog so long as you have even the most basic computer skills. I’ve created this tutorial in an effort to make it even easier for you.
- Bluehost offers free technical support. This is a critical component when finding a hosting site. There may be many times when you find yourself in need of answers in the middle of the night and Bluehost is always there for you.
- Bluehost is among the most affordable web hosting sites available. You can start a blog with as little as $3.95 a month with a free domain through my exclusive link.
- Your blog domain is free!
- WordPress is also free! Do you see how much money you’re saving already?
- Bluehost offers a full refund guaranteed if their site does not suit your needs within the first 30 days. Although I hope you’ll contact technical support and exhaust all avenues before giving up on your blog.
- Bluehost allows you to self-host your blog. Which means you don’t have to pay someone to do it or pay for a service. It also gives you the freedom to make your own advertising and affiliate decisions. This makes it much easier to generate an income.
- WordPress blogs just look more professional than free blog websites. Readers, companies, and advertisers will be more drawn to your site and more willing to spend their money on your site if it looks professional. The best content in the world does not make up for an unprofessional website.
HERE ARE THE STEPS TO FOLLOW TO START YOUR BLOG THROUGH BLUEHOST AND START MAKING MONEY:
REGISTER YOUR DOMAIN NAME
When purchasing your domain name, make sure to put a lot of thought into what that name is going to be. It is the first thing that draws page visitors in and can easily be one of your best marketing tools. It can be tough to choose. However, remember that through Bluehost your domain is free and therefore it’s not terribly expensive to change your mind and get a new domain. Just remember that your domain name should easily convey what your blog is about and should be short and sweet.
Purchasing your domain directly through Bluehost makes the entire process very easy and affordable. So long as you purchase 12 months of Bluehost web hosting your domain is free and your monthly rate is lower than if you were to purchase web hosting services on a monthly basis.
PURCHASE HOSTING FOR YOUR BLOG.
Let’s break down the costs of blogging:
The basic plan on Bluehost is $3.95 through my exclusive Bluehost link if you sign up for 36 months. The 24 month plan is $4.95 per month. The 12 month plan is $5.45 per month. While you get a better rate signing up for the 36 month plan, if you are new to blogging and unsure of whether it’s for you, $5.45 is still a great deal and I highly recommend that you choose that plan. The total price for a 12 month plan is $65.40 a year and your domain name is free.The best way to run your blog is through #Bluehost! Click To Tweet
Because you are a new blogger, the Plus and Prime packages are going to be more expensive and the bells and whistles that come with those packages are unnecessary for your blog. Stick with the basic for now and consider upgrading if you find a need for it.
Another item I highly recommend is the Domain Privacy Protection to ensure your contact information stays safe. This is a cost of $0.99 per month.
Bluehost offers lots of special perks and other options. However the Basic Package and your Domain Privacy Protection plan are all you really need to get started. Be sure you uncheck any selected extras that are listed.
Be sure you sign up for at least a 12 month hosting plan. Month to month hosting is less effective and ultimately more expensive. By purchasing at least a 12 month plan you will receive your free domain name, lower pricing, and you won’t have to deal with renewing an expiring website every month.
If hosting is not renewed monthly or if the card used to pay for your website expires, your website will go down until the issue is resolved which means you risk losing business. While annual plans require you to pay a one lump-sum, at the end of the day it will cost you much less to purchase that lump sum rather than paying on a monthly basis.
Just to summarize:
- A 12 month plan will cost you $65.40 a year.
- The domain privacy protection will cost you $11.88 per year.
- That’s a total of $77.28.
- That may sound kind of expensive. But, you can quickly earn that money back, though I cannot guarantee the actual time frame.
Follow the steps below to purchase your blog hosting when you’re ready:
- Follow this link to Bluehost and click get started now.
- Choose your package.
- Enter your registered domain name or sign up for a new one.
- Enter all requested personal and payment information.
- Choose a password. Make sure your password is secure to protect your information.
- Connect your hosting to your domain
Note: if you purchased your domain directly through Bluehost, skip this step.
If you purchased your domain through Go Daddy, you will need to connect your domain to your hosting account. Go Daddy makes it easy to set up name servers for your domain name.
To modify your DNS name servers when using Go Daddy for your domain and Bluehost for blog hosting, follow these steps:
- Log on to the GoDaddy.com account manager.
- Click on “Manage Domains” through either the Domain Names drop down menu or the “Manage Your Account” list.
- Choose your domain name and click “Set Name Servers”.
- Enter your updated name server information under the blue “Name Servers” heading on the right-hand side of your page. Make sure you click “Save Changes” at the bottom of the page.
- After you finish the steps, returned to Bluehost to add to the domain you purchased through Go Daddy or a similar domain name provider as an add-on domain to your Bluehost web hosting.
- Log on to your Bluehost account, click on “Domains”, then click “Assign”. See? Simple! [FROM GODADDY HELP PAGE]
- Log into your Bluehost account and go to your cPanel (found in your welcome email from Bluehost), click on the image “One Click Install”.
- Click the WordPress icon located under blogs.
- Click “Start”.
- Installation will begin.
- During the installation process, you will be asked to choose the domain where WordPress will be installed.
- Choose the domain you plan on using through the drop-down menu.
- This will take you to “Advanced Options”.
- At this point you will need to choose your username and password for your WordPress website. Choose something secure.
- Do not use “Admin” as your username. Hackers are clever and they will try to hack you.
- Create a password that is a combination of letters, numbers, creative capitalization, and any symbols you are able use.
- Make sure to check “automatically create a new database for this installation” unless you already have a different database.
- Click install now
- Remember to save your username and password.
CONGRATULATIONS! YOU HAVE A WORDPRESS BLOG!
Your blog still needs to be designed and you need to create content. But the setup is done.
If you’re having any trouble signing up for Bluehost, feel free to send me a message. I’m happy to help you out. Remember, click on my exclusive link to receive the best possible deal through Bluehost.
Make sure to click below to show that you setup your new blog!I did it! I setup my new blog through @Bluehost! Click To Tweet
HERE ARE SOME GENERAL TIPS ON HOW TO USE AND NAVIGATE WORDPRESS:
- Save your automatically generated WordPress welcome email off-line so you can easily access your login information from a secure location. This email will include your WordPress login URL, your username, and your password.
- If you need to add or create new posts click on “Posts” on the left-hand side of the page. To add a page, click page.
- To add an image, click on “Media” on the left-hand side of your page.
- To add items to your sidebar, footer, etc. go to “Appearance”, then click “Widgets”.
- One easy way to engage your readers and keep them coming back is to send newsletters and emails. I highly recommend using Aweber when you are initially starting out. They give you a 30-Day trial, which is more than enough time to get going if you’re working diligently building your blog.
For blog design, Genesis is excellent for beginners. It might be a good way for you to get started. There are also free themes through WordPress you can use. Go to “Appearance” on the left-hand side of the page and click on “Themes” to activate your chosen theme.
X Theme by ThemeCo is a robust theme option which includes all the plug-ins you could ever need and a super user-friendly way to design webpages. If you would like to see an example of X Theme in action you can check out my actor page at https://erinfloydsmith.com. X Theme requires little to no coding knowledge and is compatible with WooCommerce. You can purchase X Theme at Theme Forest .
Are you ready to start blogging? What’s the number one obstacle preventing you from starting today? What can you do to get past it?